Electronical and Electromechanical Explorations

This blog organizes and presents some of my various projects and musings related to taming wild electrons and putting them to work. Projects are listed down the right side of the page.

Thursday, January 1, 2015

ScopeMeter Watch 1: Requirements

Since I am on the path toward building electronics lab/test gear and since I am interested in miniature electronics projects, I decided that my first oscilloscope project should be a ScopeMeter Watch!  Who wouldn't want a watch that is also an oscilloscope?

So as I am trying to wrap my head around the requirements for all the things I need to cram into it, I thought I'd make an effort to list what seem to me to be the basic requirements.

In terms of raw functionality (features):
  • Two oscilloscope input channels, including:
    • Trigger capability
    • Adjustable attenuation/amplification
    • AC or DC coupling
    • Target sample rate: > 50 million samples per second
  • Basic multimeter functions:
    • Voltage measurement
    • Resistance measurement
    • Continuity checking
  • Power stuff:
    • Battery power regulated to necessary power rails
    • Battery capacity monitoring
    • Battery charging
  • User Interface:
    • Display screen:  UI modes for:
      • Oscilloscope
      • Voltmeter
      • Resistance/continuity
      • Time display
      • Settings configuration
    • Controls:
      • Methods for the user to control all the operations of the device
    • Audio:
      • Some way to report continuity test results
      • Also usable for alarms and other feedback
  • External connections:
    • Two plugs for probes
    • External power for charging
Here is a diagram to show all the stuff that needs to go into the design:

 This is definitely a goofy project, but an interesting challenge.

I am not so concerned about how great the oscilloscope is... Eventually I do want to make some pretty awesome test gear, but first I need to get some experience with the kinds of issues that come up...

No comments:

Post a Comment